Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'm 17 but planning trip to San Francisco. Can my mom rent a hotel room for me even though she isnt going?

My friend and I are both 17 and planning to spend a long weekend in San Fransico. Our parents aren't going with us, but we still need a hotel room. Also, I only have a debit card. Is there anyway that my mom can rent the hotel room under her name? Thanks in advance.I'm 17 but planning trip to San Francisco. Can my mom rent a hotel room for me even though she isnt going?
Yes.





The youth hostel idea has merit. They're usually safe and easy for minors to get into. Though you might prefer the privacy of a hotel room.





In which case your mom will need to contact the hotel directly, give them a credit card number, and explain what's going to happen. With some hotels, there's leeway for negotiation. Others will reject the idea outright. Do not use an online booking service. Otherwise, the desk clerk will pull up the reservation and see that you're not her. At which point, you will have no reservation.





It doesn't hurt to have a signed permission slip of some sort from your parents either. Here's a template of one:





http://www.free-legal-document.com/paren鈥?/a>





America isn't as carefree as Europe about these things. And traveling as a minor is a major hassle.I'm 17 but planning trip to San Francisco. Can my mom rent a hotel room for me even though she isnt going?
Are you nuts? Can't believe your parents are going along with 2 seventeen year olds traveling alone in San Francisco. Remember the 18 yr. old who ';disappeared'; never to be found and her murderers are still at large in Aruba. And they supposedly had chaperons but obviously they were not chaperoning when she took off with 3 guys in their car. Stay home or vacation with your parents for safety's sake.
You may have more fun if you stayed in a Hostel instead of a hotel. Hostels are designed for the younger traveler so they are used to people your age. There is one at Fort Mason in SF which is right near Pier 39 and other attractions. Plus it will be way cheaper for your stay. A hostel is about $30/night and a hotel can be up to $100 or more.





Look up http://www.usahostels.com/ hostel or http://www.hiusa.org/ for more info.
I agree with all, esp. SF Dude.





I just wanted to add something the hostel idea. Cheap, fun, and with enough advance notice you can reserve a private room. They're not more than about $80/night, and have a private bathroom.
I don;t know, you might have a little trouble depending on the hotel clerk. Usually when you arrive, they will ask for a credit card to cover any additonal charges. Have your mom called the hotel in adavance to avoid this problem..
yes, i don't mean to sound vague, but yes. idk what the exact rules are, but i know is that I HAVE done it. In san francisco. I spent 5 days in a hotel and i was only 17. My mom paid for it too. Don't worry about it :)
Yes, you could do that.





If she rented the room under her name, you guys could stay there. Your mom should tell the clerk that you will be staying in the room, not her. But, you will be able to.
Yes, that shouldn't cause any problems

No comments:

Post a Comment